Trainee Contract Policy
Brigham and Women's and Massachusetts General Hospitals Institutional Policy re: Graduate Trainee Contracts
Brigham and Women's and Massachusetts General Hospitals
Institutional Policy re: Selection of Clinical Trainees
The following provisions apply to all graduate medical education training programs, with or without national accreditation, sponsored by the Brigham and Women’s and/or Massachusetts General Hospitals.
• Programs will not discriminate with regard to age, color, gender, national origin, race, relig-ion, sexual orientation, disability or veteran status.
• All programs, whether or not the program participates in a specialty matching program (such as the National Residency Matching Program), will select clinical trainees from among eligi-ble applicants on the basis of their ability, academic credentials, aptitude, communication skills, intellectual and humanistic qualities, personal attributes (such as motivation and integ-rity), preparedness, and their ability to benefit from the program. These qualities may be as-sessed through review of academic records, letters of recommendation, standardized test scores and other means, including interviews. Additional sources of information, such as personal written or verbal communications from medical school faculty, may also be consid-ered in the selection process.
• Programs that participate with the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP) shall regis-ter their positions in accordance with the NRMP policies in effect at the time of registration.
The following provisions also apply to those graduate medical education training programs ac-credited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME).
• Programs accredited by the ACGME will select residents in accordance with the eligibility criteria defined in:
a) the ACGME Institutional Requirements, and
b) the applicable Residency Review Committee (RRC) specialty and subspecialty re-quirements.
Note: The selection of ineligible residents or fellows may be a cause for withdrawal of insti-tutional and/or ACGME sponsorship.
• Each program is required to (1) establish and implement formal written criteria for the selec-tion of trainees and (2) incorporate the RRC eligibility requirements into their written trainee selection policy.
Approved Partners Education Committee 11/17/04
GME Topics and Resources
Calendar Of Events
View events happening across the Partners HealthCare network.