Policies on Interactions with Industry and Other Outside Entities
Interactions with industry provide important support to the mission of Partners and its hospitals to carry out high quality and leading edge medicine, research, and medical education, and in translating scientific discoveries into advances that improve medical care.
However, while valuable, relationships with industry raise a concern that the financial and other aspects of these relationships may create conflicts of interest that can bias, or appear to bias, how Partners and individuals at Partners carry out their charitable activities.
Partners has long had in place policies and practices to assure that these relationships remain principled and consistent with Partners mission. The policies that pertain to conflicts of interest and interactions with industry have recently been revised and updated into one coordinated, integrated document. The integrated format represents an important initiative in better managing our interactions with industry and assisting the public and the Partners community in understanding the nature of the relationships and the rules that govern them.
The Policy is divided into a Preface, six numbered Sections, and a Glossary, as shown. The Policy is effective August 24, 2012, except as otherwise noted.
- Preface: Partners Policy for Interactions with Industry and Other Outside Entities (effective August 24, 2012)
- Section 1: Researchers’ Financial Interests and Outside Activities Related to Research and Financial Conflicts of Interest (effective August 24, 2012)
- Section 2: Clinical Care and Interactions with Industry (The Partners Committee on Conflicts of Interest is convening a Task Force to address implementation of this Section. The effective date of Section 2 is postponed until after that process has concluded.)
- Section 3: Industry Support Related to Education (effective August 24, 2012)
- Section 4: Consulting and Other Outside Activities (effective August 24, 2012)
- Section 5: Institutional Conflicts of Interest (effective August 24, 2012, except for Sections 5.2.2, 5.2.3, and 5.3.3, the effective date of which has been postponed until implementation procedures have been developed.)
- Section 6: Gifts From Partners Vendors and Potential Vendors (effective August 24, 2012)
- Glossary (effective August 24, 2012)
To view a PDF of the policy relevant to your interactions with industry, click on the link below.
To view other policies relevant to your interactions with industry, click on the link below.
- Harvard Medical School's Interim Policy Statement on Conflicts of Interest and Commitment
- Partners HealthCare Code of Conduct
- Report of the Partners Commission on Interactions with Industry
- Recommendations of the Partners Commission on Interactions with Industry
Contact the Office for Interactions with Industry
Got a question about interactions with industry?
Find the answer to your question on our Partners Pulse Frequently Asked Questions page.
Please note, you must be within the Partners network to view this page.