Recognition of Partners People
The people of Partners are recognized often for their contributions to many fields, including medical science, information technology, health care, and others.
Partners HealthCare Nobel Laureates
Over the years, 18 Nobel laureates have trained or practiced at Partners-affiliated institutions:
- 2011: Ralph M. Steinman, MGH
- 2009: Jack Szostak, MGH
- 1998: Ferid Murad, MGH
- 1990: Joseph E. Murray, BWH
- 1990: E. Donnall Thomas BWH
- 1989: J. Michael Bishop, MGH
- 1985: Herbert L. Abrams* BWH
- 1985: Michael S. Brown, MGH
- 1985: Eric Chivian* MGH
- 1985: Joseph L. Goldstein, MGH
- 1985: Bernard Lown*, BWH
- 1985: James Muller* BWH
- 1980: Baruj Benacerraf DFCI
- 1972: Gerald M. Edelman, MGH
- 1966: Charles B. Huggins, MGH
- 1953: Fritz Lipmann, MGH
- 1934: George R. Minot MGH
- 1934: William P. Murphy, BWH
* Drs. Abrams, Chivian, Lown, and Muller are the four American co-founders of International Physicians for the Prevention of Nuclear War, the organization awarded the 1985 Nobel Peace Prize.
Members of the Institute of Medicine
Being elected as a member of the Institute of Medicine is one of the greatest honors that a physician can achieve and represents his or her dedication to the field of medicine as well as to service.
Partners HealthCare hospitals have had dozens of members elected to the Institute of Medicine over the years. The following is a list of the Institute's most recently elected members from Partners and Partners' hospitals.
- Atul Gawande,MD, MPH, surgeon at Brigham and Women's Hospital
- Jay S. Loeffler, MD, chair of radiation oncology at Massachusetts General Hospital
- JoAnn E. Manson, MD, MPH DrPH, chief of preventive medicine, Brigham and Women's Hospital
- James H. Thrall, MD, radiologist in chief, Massachusetts General Hospital
- David M. Altshuler, MD, PhD, physician researcher in the Center for Human Genetic Research, the Diabetes Unit in the Department of Medicine and the Department of Molecular Biology, Massachusetts General Hospital
- John Z. Ayanian, MD, medical director, Center for Surgery and Public Health, Brigham and Women's Hospital
- Nancy Berliner, MD, chief, division of hematology, Brigham and Women's Hospital
- Charles A. Czeisler, MD, PhD, FRCP., chief, division of sleep medicine, Brigham and Women's Hospital
- Gary L. Gottlieb, MD, President and CEO, Partners HealthCare
- Bruce Rosen, MD, PhD, physician researcher in the Department of Imaging and director of the Athinoula A. Martinos Center for Biomedical Imaging, Massachusetts General Hospital
Innovation and Leadership
Partners leadership is dedicated to developing new and improved methods of care delivery, treatments, and cutting-edge research.
Quality and Safety Report Card
Partners HealthCare is committed to making patient care better each day, across all parts of our system.